Introducing Loose Parts Play
Staff will be encouraging children to use their imagination, playing with resources including cardboard boxes, tyres, bread baskets, tarpaulins, wooden planks and plastic guttering. These are called ‘Loose parts’.
They can be used in many different ways, allowing children to make anything from a pirate ship or castle to an assault course or den.
Loose parts play will happen at lunchtime; it will be a chance for children to:
* Play freely with friends * Investigate * Discover * Explore * Create * Use lots of trial and error to learn for themselves * Learn to make their own judgments about adventurous play and recognising safe limits *
- Staff and children will be working together to introduce the loose parts.
- Small groups of children will access the materials once per week at first.
- Children will be involved in discussing health and safety issues.
- All items will be checked initially and on a regular basis for safety.
Do you have resources to donate?
We will need a supply of loose parts to keep things interesting. Currently we are looking for:
- Crates (milk/ beer/ bread)
- Clean drain pipes
- Cardboard tubes
- Tree stumps and slices
- Large cardboard boxes
- Cable reels or drums